On a bright Sunday, May 5, 1872, the Reverend James H. B. Brooke held a service of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the School House on Baltimore Avenue in the tiny borough of Clifton Heights. This was the beginning of what was to become St. Stephen's Episcopal Church.
The first celebration of Holy Communion would not take place until the following October. The members met for organization in April of 1873. On October 12, 1878, the cornerstone of the Church was laid by the Bishop of Pennsylvania, the Rt. Rev. William Bacon Stevens, D.D., and the Church was consecrated by him on March 15, 1879. How appropriate that St Stephen's be established by Bishop Stevens.
The Parish House formally opened on July 28, 1881. Thomas A. Scott, Esquire, president of the Pennsylvania Railroad, provided the funds to have this built in memory of his son. A plaque commemorating this has recently been restored and hangs on the wall of the Parish House.
The first rector of St. Stephen's, William W. Taylor, served until 1885, followed by The Revs. Daniel M. Bates, James Fry Bullitt, Thomas Bell, J. Garwood Quinn, Henri M.J. Huff, Edward H. Bonsall, Jr., Oliver E. Newton, George W. Barnes, Henry M. Prentiss, Norman Kerr, Hobart Heistand, Robert Gearhart, Charles Mauch, Donald M. Whitesel, William Martin, John F. Williams, Jill McNish, and Linda Kerr.